FOLLOW ME

Friday, 20 April 2012

SYMPTOMS OF DOG POISONING AND TREATMENTS

 Pet Poison Help Line 24/7 (800-213-6680)


Dogs can suffer from poisoning for many reasons - some foods are toxic to dogs, if you do not know what foods can harm your dog you may end-up accidentally poisoning your dog. Some times dogs are accidentally exposed to chemicals (i.e. household cleaning products), or toxins such as anti-freeze. Dogs can suffer poisoning from snake bites, ingesting poisonous plants or rodent poison, eating grass that fertilizer, herbicides or pesticides have been applied to, ingesting and/or surface contact with road salt (de-icer), surfaces treated with chemical-based household cleaners, etc. Some dogs are intentionally poisoned by unhappy neighbors. 

Dogs can inhale or ingest a poisonous substance. For example a dog may absorb poison by inhaling tiny air-borne particles. Toxins may enter there blood stream via surface contact with  the pads of their paws. They may directly ingest a toxic substance or may inadvertently ingest it by brushing against/walking or lying on a toxic substance and then licking/grooming themselves.

It is always better to be pro-active, accidents happen, and so too, intentional cruelty by others - by familiarizing yourself with the symptoms and treatments of poisoning you can save your dog’s life.

Symptoms of Poisoning

Absorbed, ingested and/or absorbed poisonous/toxic substances can cause a wide range of reactions such as…

  • Breathing difficulty;
  • Bleeding disorders;
  • Bleeding from various parts of the body;
  • Chemical burns;
  • Coma;
  • Death;
  • Diarrhea;
  • Drooling;
  • Elevated temperature;
  • Hallucination resulting in over-reaction to sound or light;
  • Heart and organ failure;
  • Kidney or liver problems;
  • Loss of appetite;
  • Loss of balance - staggering;
  • Lethargy;
  • Mouth irritation;
  • Muscle tremor and rigidity;
  • Seizure;
  • Skin rash;
  • Swelling of the tongue;
  • Vomiting;
  • Weakness;
Some toxic substances result in immediate signs of poisoning, typically signs of poisoning are apparent within 3 days after contact with the substance. However, some poisons/toxins can be insidious - toxic load may take weeks, months or years to build-up before symptoms surface.

The earlier you notice symptoms and the quicker your dog receives treatment the lesser the chance of permanent damage or death. But there are some poisons for which there is no cure.

Treatments to Mitigate the Affects of Poisoning

The following provides a list of some of the interventions that your veterinarian may ask you to do, they may also request that you bring your dog in ASAP.

To induce vomiting, give your pet 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (1 tablespoon per 15 pounds of the dog’s body weight) with an eye dropper, syringe, or turkey baster by dribbling the liquid onto the back of his tongue or into his cheek pocket until swallowed. Collect any vomit and take it, along with the poison container or other substance that you think you dog may have ingested and take it to the veterinarian

To dilute caustic poisons such as pine oils, detergents, bleaches, and swimming pool chemicals, feed your dog large quantities of water, milk, or egg whites. Activated charcoal (or even burned toast) may be recommended to absorb insect repellents like DEET.

To remove absorbed poisons...absorbed poisons are substances that get on your pet’s paws and coat and are absorbed through the skin. Road salt is one of the most common of such substances and can cause serious and lethal damage over time. Remember your dog walks, on lies on and licks the floor - don't use chemical based cleaners to clean floors, other horizontal or vertical surfaces that your dog comes into contact with. Absorbed poisoning can happen through ingestion when the animal grooms himself. For oil-based toxins (petroleum products) use a gentle dish washing liquid like 'Dawn'. Dust or vacuum powdery poisons away because water can activate certain toxins. If the poison is in your dog’s eye, carefully flush the eye with water or a sterile saline solution. To remove toxins from a dog's paws you can use the following Foot Soak Recipe...

Warm Water and Iodine - Foot Soak Recipe, To Remove Toxins

Iodine is non-toxic for dogs (but should not be ingested, just used topically) and is anti-fugal and anti-viral. To remove toxins (road salt, herbicides, fertilizers or pesticides) from the surface of your dog’s paws - this soak can also be used to reduce itchy, inflamed, and other wise irritated paws…
  • Fill the container you are using with warm water;
  • Add enough iodine to make the water turn the colour of ice tea;
  • Have your dog stand in or otherwise keep their paw in the the water/iodine solution for 30 seconds
  • Then pat your dog’s paws dry.

‘Inhaled poisons’ include aerosol sprays, carbon monoxide, gases, and other fumes inhaled by your pet that you may not consider poison to dogs because you use them safely on a regular basis. Quickly get your dog into fresh air and administer Rescue Breathing if necessary.

For snakebites, carry your dog if at all possible, to prevent increased circulation of venom throughout his body via walking. Get him to an animal emergency centre ASAP.

For insect bites
Options:

  • If your dog's nose or face is swelling, or multiple stings have been experienced you can administer 1 mg of Diphenhydramine (i.e. Benadryl), an antihistamine, per pound of your dog’s body weight; 
  • Rather than use a chemical-based antihistamine (i.e. Benedryl) you can use nature's antihistime - Quercetin;
  • For calming pain and inflammation due to a bite there are many natural options, for topical treatments - for example..:
  • For calming the irritation resulting from insect bites, to speed healing and prevent infection;
  • Applying a cold pack to the bite can alleviate swelling:
  • Immediately seek professional medical help if you detect breathing problems. 

If You Think Your Dog Is Suffering From Poisoning
(food, chemicals, insect/snake bites)

If you think your dog is suffering from symptoms related to poisoning from food, plants or chemicals call your veterinarian or contact a pet poison control centre right away.

Pet Poison Help Line 24/7 (800-213-6680).

The Pet Poison Help Line is run by the ASPCA. Please note that there are some errors on the ASPCA's list of dangerous and poisonous items. For example - aloe vera juice, fresh lemon, select dairy products, garlic, chamomile, other specific herbs and herbal teas such as decaffeinated green tea and rooibos tea are actually not poisonous for your dog. You can read my articles on those items to learn more.



Holistic Support

If you require additional support and guidance I would be pleased to assist you via my Holistic Diet, Nutrition Wellness Services:
  • Unbiased Diet, Nutrition, Product Advice is available via this service
  • Diet, Nutrition Wellness Plans are available via this service
 


6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you so very much for having this article. I just lost a small dog and have a large dog sick and was not sure what they may have gotten into. it was too late for my lil guy but this article just helped give my big girl a fighting chance. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi McKenzie - I hope you girl is able to pull through.

      Delete
  2. Very informative and I see that I am not the only one who suspects a neighbor is poisoning our dog. I thought I was being paranoid but it seems to be food poisoning, diarhea and vomiting for a week. I will hose down the fence next to the neighbor in question and see to it that our dog stays far away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, opinions on what else it could be if a little dog has diarrhea and vomiting for a month, and veterinarians do not know what that is. Thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many commercial dry dog foods are full of toxins and carcinogens that can cause great upset to a dog's GI tract. Chemical-based dewormers, veterinarian prescribed insect deterrents and vaccinations are another source of such of such upset. To comment further I would need to know more about your dog - what food you are using, what kind of health products and regimen you are following including oral health and other grooming products, what kind of cleaners you use in your home, what you are suing in your yard, and more - you would require a consultation.

      Delete
  4. how i wish, i seen and read this article few days earlier from now, maybe we can still save our loving dog... :( we tried to revived him but didnt work... "dodo" was not just a dog for us but a family member... :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment - your comment will be reviewed and if deemed appropriate for this site your comment will be published after review.