DIY recipe for homemade coconut oil herbal toothpaste for dogs and cats combines the natural goodness of coconut oil, turmeric, stevia, and kelp. This toothpaste works hard to kill bad bacteria that cause plaque, and bad breath. The ingredients also aid in dissolving plaque, while reducing inflammation of the gums.
Health promoting and healing, simply natural, simply good…
DIY Recipe – Coconut Oil Herbal Toothpaste for Dogs, Cats
You Will Need The Following Items -
- Coconut Oil - organic
- Herbal Ingredients
- Kelp powder - deep sea kelp, or Norwegian kelp
- Turmeric powder – organic or wild crafted
- Stevia extract – organic or wild crated
- *Oil of oregano (dogs, not cats), or grapefruit seed extract (dogs or cats).
- *not to be confused with essential oil! Use "Oil of Oregano" not oregano essential oil.
- Soft bristled tooth brush, or
- Organic cotton balls,
- Or small, soft clean cloth.
- Glass or pottery mixing bowl
- Small glass jar
Preparation and Storage -
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- If the coconut oil is solid rather than soft or liquid, place the jar of coconut oil (make sure the lid is on tight!) in warm water, or put the measured amount of coconut oil in saucepan on lowest setting and gently heat until soft. Coconut oil becomes a liquid when room temperature is 76o F / 24.4o C.
- 1/8 tsp of organic turmeric
- 1/8 tsp kelp
- 2 drops of organic stevia extract
- 3 drops of oil of oregano (dogs, not cats), or grapefruit seed extract (dogs or cats).
- Place all ingredients together in a glass or pottery bowl, mix together, blend well.
- Pour resulting mixture (herbal toothpaste) into a small glass jar.
- Store in the refrigerator.
How To Use the Coconut Oil Herbal Toothpaste -
- When you are ready to brush your dogs or cats teeth…
- Make sure the lid of the toothpaste jar is on tight.
- Place the jar of toothpaste in warm water for a few minutes – this will soften the toothpaste.
- To ensure the toothpaste remains pristine, use a clean spoon to scoop the desired amount of toothpaste out of the jar, and into a small cup.
- Dip a clean toothbrush, your finger, or cotton ball into the toothpaste in the cup.
- Gently brush your dogs or cats teeth with the toothpaste.
Can’t Get One of the Ingredients?
If you are not able to get one of the following ingredients - stevia, or turmeric, or kelp, you can still make an effective toothpaste, even if you leave one of the ingredients out.
More about the health benefits of…
- Coconut oil - go here.
- Turmeric – go here.
- Oil of oregano is a natural antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral.
- You can read about grapefruit seed extract here.
- Kelp – Bacillus lichenformis is a ‘good’ bacteria that lives on the surface of the kelp plant. When kelp is introduced to your dog’s mouth the Bacillus lichenformis releases an enzyme. The enzyme breaks down bad bacteria biofilm that causes plaque formation.
- Stevia – is a sweet tasting herb that offers antibacterial, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties and reduces biofilm.
If your dog or cat has a health condition always check for contradictions, and drug interactions before using herbs, nutraceuticals, and alternative medicines. These are discussed in the links provided above.
Do you need holistic advice to support your companion animal's health and well being? Become a client. Book your consultation. My professional holistic nutrition, wellness and behavioral services are available to you:
🌿 Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕 🐈
🌿 Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕
My Holistic Client Services are Available Worldwide:
🇬🇧 UK and other European countires
🇦🇺 Australia and other Oceania countires
🇭🇰 Hong Kong and other Asian countries
🇨🇷 Costa Rica and other Central American countries
🇪🇺 European countries
🇹🇹 Trinidad and Tobago and other South America countries
🇿🇦 South Africa and other African countries
🇸🇪 Sweden and other european countries
🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates
Available Holistic Consultations and Sessions:
📱 Facebook video or voice calling
Menu of Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕🐈
For more information go here.
✅ Maintain Health, and;
✅ Address Health Issues and Conditions:
✓ Treatment and Remedy
✓ Pre-Surgery holistic support protocols
✓ Post-Surgery holistic healing protocols
✓ Pre-Vaccine holistic support protocols
✓ Post-Vaccine holistic support protocols
✓ Natural Insect and Parasite Prevention
✓ Natural Treatment for Insect, Parasite Infestation, Co-Infection, Disease
✅ Custom Designed Whole Food Diets - raw or gently cooked, and;
✅ Advice and Recommendation:
✓ Premade Diets - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried
✓ Supplemental Fresh Foods - raw, gently cooked
✓ Super foods
✓ Treats - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried, gently cooked
✓ Alternative Medicines
Menu of Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕
For more information go here.
In-person Sessions - available locally
Voice and Video Sessions - available worldwide
✓ Obedience Training
✓ Behavior Modification
✓ Psychological Rehabilitation
Affiliations to Companies
✓ I don't sell food or supplements.
✓ I'm not aligned with any companies.
✓ I choose to maintain my objectivity in selecting best-solutions for my individual client's needs.
Article and graphics by Karen Rosenfeld