Anxiety is a very serious and increasingly common issue in dogs – in-fact it has become an epidemic issue.
Anxiety when left unaddressed or when addressed in the wrong way can quickly increase in intensity. Anxiety may take many forms, separation anxiety, fear of unfamiliar inanimate or animate objects, sounds, weather – i.e. thunderstorms, or insecurity leading to aggressive-reactive behaviour.
In order to successfully remedy anxiety, each factor that contributes to the condition must be addressed. A gently cooked or raw diet supports optimal brain function, the endocrine system and overall health.
Dog kibble (dry highly processed food) is not a good source of Omega fatty acids .
EPA’s Importance In Proper Brain Function
A balanced in-take of high quality EPA can help your dog better handle stress.
- Increases the fluidity of cell membranes;
- Improves communication between brain cells;
- As such daily ingestion of enough EPA:
- Works to support proper functioning of the brain, and;
- Enables calming.
Ingesting too much of the Omega-6 fatty acid Arachidonic Acid (AA) causes cellular inflammation.
- The brain is very sensitive to cellular inflammation.
- Cellular inflammation creates a breakdown in the signalling between cells.
- When breakdown occurs the brain cannot function at optimal levels.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines are ineffective in treating brain cell inflammation as they cannot cross the blood-brain barrier that isolates the brain from undesirable substances in the blood-stream.
When brain cells become inflamed the only substance that can protect these compromised cells is sufficient levels of Omega 3 fatty acids.
The brain uses two Omega 3 fatty acids – DHA and EPA. While DHA is an important and necessary structural component of the brain, EPA is the primary anti-inflammatory Omega fatty acid for the brain. When used by the brain EPA has a short life-span. This means that the supply of EPA (via the blood stream to the brain) must be constantly present. For this reason it is very important to make sure that your dog is taking in a sufficient amount of EPA on a daily basis.
Commercially manufactured dog kibble contains high levels of Omega-6 fatty acids and respectively low levels of Omega-3 fatty acids.
- To make matters worse, when coupled with increased consumption of omega-6 fatty acids refined carbohydrates (such as wheat flour, rice and sugar):
- Increase insulin production;
- Which in-turn increases the amount of AA (the Omega-6 fatty acid which causes inflammation);
- At the same time decreased consumption of EPA:
- Results in an increased AA to EPA ratio;
- Which further exacerbates inflammation.
DHA’s Importance To Brain Function
When the brain is not receiving sufficient daily amounts of DHA, serotonin levels are decreased. Decreased levels of serotonin are associated with anxiety.
Other Impacts on Brain Function, of Insufficient Intake of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 Deficiency Can:
- Compromise the blood-brain barrier.
- This barrier protects the brain from uninhibited flow of undesirable substances/matter into the brain;
- Decrease normal blood flow to the brain;
- Decrease phosphatidylserine (PS) levels;
- PS is a naturally occurring anti-depressant, and also helps improve the ability to concentrate.
Holistic Wellness Services and Holistic Behaviorist Services
Holistic Wellness and Behaviorist Services
Do you need holistic advice to support your companion animal's health and well being? Become a client. Book your consultation. My professional holistic nutrition, wellness and behavioral services are available to you:
🌿 Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕 🐈
🌿 Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕
My Holistic Client Services are Available Worldwide:
🇬🇧 UK and other European countires
🇦🇺 Australia and other Oceania countires
🇭🇰 Hong Kong and other Asian countries
🇨🇷 Costa Rica and other Central American countries
🇪🇺 European countries
🇹🇹 Trinidad and Tobago and other South America countries
🇿🇦 South Africa and other African countries
🇸🇪 Sweden and other european countries
🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates
Available Holistic Consultations and Sessions:
📱 Facebook video or voice calling
Menu of Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕🐈
For more information go here.
✅ Maintain Health, and;
✅ Address Health Issues and Conditions:
✓ Treatment and Remedy
✓ Pre-Surgery holistic support protocols
✓ Post-Surgery holistic healing protocols
✓ Pre-Vaccine holistic support protocols
✓ Post-Vaccine holistic support protocols
✓ Natural Insect and Parasite Prevention
✓ Natural Treatment for Insect, Parasite Infestation, Co-Infection, Disease
✅ Custom Designed Whole Food Diets - raw or gently cooked, and;
✅ Advice and Recommendation:
✓ Premade Diets - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried
✓ Supplemental Fresh Foods - raw, gently cooked
✓ Super foods
✓ Treats - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried, gently cooked
✓ Alternative Medicines
Menu of Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕
For more information go here.
In-person Sessions - available locally
Voice and Video Sessions - available worldwide
✓ Obedience Training
✓ Behavior Modification
✓ Psychological Rehabilitation
Affiliations to Companies
✓ I don't sell food or supplements.
✓ I'm not aligned with any companies.
✓ I choose to maintain my objectivity in selecting best-solutions for my individual client's needs.
Article and graphics by Karen Rosenfeld