PROTECT YOUR DOG'S EARS FROM FROST BITE

HERE IS A SIMPLE TIP FOR THOSE WHO HAVE VERY SHORT HAIR DOGS, BOXERS, GREYHOUNDS, CHIHUAHUAS and the list goes on!

Ginger and Castor Oil - simple, inexpensive and effective...

When the temperature goes below -20 Celsius, dogs with short fur can end up experiencing vascular damage to their ears (the first stage of frost bite) in a relatively short time period - development can occur during a 30 to 40 minute walk.

I noticed one day that my Boxer Robbie, was starting to get a cut at the edge of his ear. I thought it odd as I had not seen it there earlier in the day. With 10 dogs, you don’t run to the Veterinarian every time something comes up (non-emergency items). You try to see what conclusions you can come to first. So, I thought while we walked - he has not run since this morning -so it’s not a cut from dashing thorough the woods and he was not playing with his pack mates this morning. The temperature was in the -20’s, and there was a nasty wind-chill. In fact, we were experiencing multiple days of deep cold.  So I thought a little more, put two and two together and realized it had to be the start of frost bite!

I headed home with my pack and knew I would have to find a quick and affective remedy. He wears a coat in cold weather, but to cover his ears with a hood is not practical! 

Robbie, my Boxer x Pit Bull
When seeking solutions I try to relate things back to how I treat similar conditions for myself. My hands get really beat up by the cold. Before I take the dogs for their walk in the depth of winter, I usually put a thin layer of castor oil on my hands. That way if I have to take my gloves off, my hands have a little protection. And that was it! I figured castor oil would work on him too!

So, I put castor around the edges of my Boxer’s ears when we went out in the deep cold for our daily walks. It worked well. The cut healed back-up quickly despite that fact that he was out for two walks a day in the cold. He has never had a recurrence even when out in -30 Celsius.

The oil gets absorbed into the skin so there is no greasy mess, even when you apply it on a daily basis. So, if you are taking your short hair dog out in extreme cold, don’t forget your dog’s jacket and put a little castor oil all around the edge of his/her ears!

In the winter I also give him ginger (powder form, dried or fresh sliced) to help increase his circulation - this also helps stave-off frostbite.

Note: Do not allow your dog to ingest the castor oil. 


Additional Support 

IHolistic Wellness and Behaviorist Services

Do you need holistic advice to support your companion animal's health and well being? Become a client. Book your consultation. My professional holistic nutrition, wellness and behavioral services are available to you:
🌿 Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕 🐈
🌿 Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕

My Holistic Client Services are Available Worldwide:
🇺🇸 USA
🇨🇦 Canada
🇬🇧 UK and other European countires
🇦🇺 Australia and other Oceania countires
🇭🇰 Hong Kong and other Asian countries
🇨🇷 Costa Rica and other Central American countries 
🇪🇺 European countries
🇹🇹 Trinidad and Tobago and other South America countries
🇿🇦 South Africa and other African countries
🇸🇪 Sweden and other european countries
🇦🇪 United Arab Emirates

Available Holistic Consultations and Sessions:
📱 FaceTime
📱 Facebook video or voice calling
💻 Skype
📞 Phone
📧 Email 
🚶🏻‍♀️ In-Person

Menu of Holistic Wellness Services for Dogs and Cats 🐕🐈
For more information go here. 
✅  Maintain Health, and;
✅  Address Health Issues and Conditions:
✓ Treatment and Remedy 
 Pre-Surgery holistic support protocols
 Post-Surgery holistic healing protocols
 Pre-Vaccine holistic support protocols 
 Post-Vaccine holistic support protocols
 Natural Insect and Parasite Prevention
 Natural Treatment for Insect, Parasite Infestation, Co-Infection, Disease
✅  Custom Designed Whole Food Diets - raw or gently cooked, and;
✅  Advice and Recommendation: 
✓ Premade Diets - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried 
✓ Supplemental Fresh Foods - raw, gently cooked
✓ Super foods
✓ Treats - raw, dehydrated, freeze dried, gently cooked
✓ Herbs 
✓ Alternative Medicines

Menu of Holistic Behaviorist Services for Dogs 🐕
For more information go here
In-person Sessions - available locally
Voice and Video Sessions - available worldwide 
✓   Obedience Training
✓   Behavior Modification
✓   Psychological Rehabilitation

Affiliations to Companies
✓ None.
✓ I don't sell food or supplements.
✓ I'm not aligned with any companies.
✓ I choose to maintain my objectivity in selecting best-solutions for my individual client's needs.


Article and graphics by Karen Rosenfeld 

Popular Posts